LIVING THE GOSPEL
THE SPECTRUM OF THE SPIRIT: GENTLENESS
1A. GENTLENESS IS A CHARACTERISTIC OF GENUINE FAITH.
2A. GENTLENESS IS A PROJECTION OF SPIRITUAL STRENGTH.
3A. GENTLENESS IS A DEMONSTRATION OF OUR GENUINE UNITY IN CHRIST.
With some trepidation, let me suggest a new addition to our growing list of definitions of these qualities:
- Love is a virtue which reflects the goodness of God in its totality!
- Joy is a virtue that sees everything from the standpoint of hope in the sovereign, eternal purpose of God.
- Peace is a virtue which sees everything from the standpoint of hope in the sovereign, eternal care of God.
- Patience is the virtue which leads us to act on the basis of mercy and grace by faith rather than reacting on the basis of the other person’s shortcomings.
- Kindness is the virtue which treats people with mercy in every context.
- Goodness is the virtue that treats people with grace by means of generous actions.
- Faithfulness is the virtue which consistently serves Christ in every circumstance with the character of Christ evident in all its facets.
Today we add: Gentleness is the virtue which projects both the power and compassion of God into our relationships.